At The Fromholz Firm, our attorneys have decades of experience conducting investigations. Ann Fromholz is certified by the Association of Title IX Administrators (ATIXA) to conduct investigations under Title IX on campuses, both colleges and universities and K-12 schools.
We conduct sensitive, discreet and skilled investigations into allegations of sexual misconduct on campus that include conducting interviews, gathering evidence and preparing detailed written reports of its findings.
What is a Title IX investigation?
Title IX is a federal civil rights law that bans discrimination of sex in any educational institution or activity that receives federal funding. A Title IX investigation looks into allegations of sexual harassment, sexual violence, or any gender-based discrimination that may interfere with a person’s access to educational benefits and opportunities.
Title IX provides parties with certain rights. For, example both the complainant and respondent have the right to:
- Have an adviser of choice present during the process (this includes an attorney if allowed at all by schools)
- Present evidence or have witnesses speak on their behalf
- Have timely access to information that will be used at the hearing
- Be present at pre-hearing meetings that provide an opportunity to present their testimony
- Receive the final hearing decision in writing at the same time as the other party without being required to sign a non-disclosure agreement
- Have the right to appeal a final decision
Educational institutions are required to provide any sexual assault survivor who files a report with a prompt, adequate, and impartial investigation.
Title IX investigation process
The title IX investigation process varies on a case-by-case basis. Some of the basic steps you should expect to go through are as follows:
- Initial complaint or report
- Initial meetings
- Interviews and fact gathering
- Initial investigative report produced
- Final report and decision
- Final decision
Our lawyers work diligently to ensure that the investigations are thorough and unbiased. We have testified at campus hearings and in court during lawsuits brought by parties to the campus complaint. Ann Fromholz also has been retained as an expert in the area of Title IX investigations.